Calendar of Events – September 13 – 19
As the oldest and largest Latino serving organization in Central Indiana, La Plaza is committed to providing excellent programs and services and being a strong advocate for the community through our educational programs and health and social services.
Over the past 49 years, La Plaza remains a trusted voice for the Latino community and the community at large.
La Plaza’s FIESTA Indianapolis, the premier Latinx cultural celebration in Indiana since 1980, has been held in September in downtown Indianapolis. FIESTA Indianapolis celebrates National Hispanic Heritage Month and the Latinx community in Indiana. We hoped that we could come together in person, but with the continued rise of coronavirus infections in the state of Indiana, and the disproportionate rate at which communities of color are being infected, we want to bring community members a virtual experience for Hispanic Heritage Month.
Our week-long celebration will offer a series of virtual events the week of September 14, 2020 – September 19, 2020.
- Monday, September 14: Virtual Health and Social Service Fair
- Tuesday, September 15: Virtual Education Fair
- Saturday, September 19: Virtual FIESTA Indianapolis
- Saturday, September 26th & Sunday, September 27: Mi Comunidad Cuenta – Census Weekend of Action
- Monday, October 4: Free COVID-19 Tests and flu shots at La Plaza
- NEW DATE: TBD in October 2020 – Virtual Panel Discussion: Celebrating Latino Hoosiers
During Hispanic Heritage Month we will also feature Latinx Hoosiers who’ve made contributions to the state of Indiana and the United States on our social media pages. With this opportunity, we remain true to our mission of strengthening Central Indiana by advocating and preparing Latino students for educational success and by connecting Latino families to health and social services.
Virtual fairs will take place 9 am – 12 pm Live via La Plaza’s Facebook page and via Zoom
Virtual Panel Discussion
Virtual Panel Discussion: Celebrating Latino Hoosiers: A discussion with top-performing executives about the foundation of their success, and advice for employers to create equity in the workplace. A panel discussion co-hosted and moderated by the Indianapolis Star. – Date TBD. Stay Tuned!
Support La Plaza’s FIESTA Indianapolis
As the recognized leader in providing culturally and linguistically appropriate direct services for Latinos in Central Indiana, La Plaza embraced the challenges brought by the pandemic and quickly shifted to offer virtual webinars and remote options in order to continue serving clients.
We are proud to be a front-line organization serving some of the most vulnerable members of our communities with necessities like food, rental, and utility assistance, weekly virtual tutoring sessions to support high school students, and interactive live informational sessions for the community at large. We want to highlight some of the amazing work we have been able to accomplish because the generosity organizations like yours:
- Over the past four months, we have given out over $136,000 to help families for emergency assistance, including rent, utilities, and essential items for families with children
- Distributed over 3,700 food boxes to families in need
- Distributed over 200 personal hygiene baskets
- Hosted 14 information live webinars on our Facebook page ranging from college preparation to important changes that have been caused by the coronavirus pandemic and the resources available to Latino residents to help them navigate this uncertain time
- Collaborated with the Marion County Public Health Department and the City of Indianapolis to distribute 4,000 masks and hand sanitizers to Marion County residents
- Hosted 2 virtual summer education programs, each 4 weeks long, for high school students and parents
- Hosted 5 “Taco Bout the Census” events in collaboration with Count Me Indy and the US Census Bureau to ensure hard to count communities complete their Census 2020 forms
With your continued support through a sponsorship or a donation, we will be able to serve more families in need during this crucial time. Please contact Mariana at Mariana@laplaza-indy.org if you would like to purchase a virtual “booth” to promote your organization to Spanish speaking communities.
Watch the videos below for a recap of FIESTA Indianapolis 2019.